Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Betting on the Bruins: Utah

Last weeks BYU game may not have been the easy win we all wanted, but the game did go according to my prediction. Chris Markey's late touchdown pushed the Bruins into a comfortable lead and, for all the gamblers in Vegas, it pushed the Bruins past the spread. It also put me up $200 in imaginary money as I hit on both the spread and the over/under.

Another fictitious $200 is on the table for this weeks game, but I'm having a hard time picking which way to go. The latest odds have UCLA -14 points with an O/U of 43.5. Utah has a lot of injured players including some key skill positions on offense. UCLA also has two defensive lineman (Harwell and Dragovic) out for the game. I suppose that balances out but with the recent offensive struggles against BYU, I don't have any feel for how well our O will perform this week. The Bruins are just so inconsistent it is hard to know what to expect.

Without Johnson, I don't see Utah passing the ball very well. UCLA's run defense has been very stout but the loss of Harwell is going to hurt that. If Utah thinks it can take to the air to get some yards then I think they will run into a UCLA secondary that is going to have a big game. They've been picked on the last two weeks, but I can see a big game with some interceptions. Utah runs a 4-3 and that should put Ben Olson back into a familiar setting. I have a gut feel that UCLA puts up a few TDs on offense and another one on defense/special-teams. I'm going to say 31-13. That's UCLA minus the points again but this time I like the over.

History
  • BYU. O/U: 46. My pick: Under. Actual: 44. +$100.
  • BYU. ULCA -7.5. My pick: UCLA minus points. Actual: UCLA +10. +$100.
  • Stanford. O/U: 46..5 My pick: Under. Actual: 62 . -$100.
  • Stanford. UCLA -17. My pick: UCLA minus points. Actual: UCLA +28 =: +$100.
Disclaimer

I am not actually gambling on these games. This is entirely for fun. I know nothing about gambling and have no insider information. If you actually bet on these games using my predictions you are crazy and will likely lose all of your money.

No comments: