Monday, June 11, 2007

New OL from the OC

Well, it looks like Karl Dorrell is going to land the bulk of his 2008 recruiting class before his team even plays a down in 2007. The Bruins added two more commitments to an already stellar recruiting class yesterday. The first is a highly touted lineman from south Orange County.

Jeff Baca, a big left tackle from Mission Viejo, decided to become a Bruin yesterday after UCLA's one-day camp on Saturday. Baca will likely come to Westwood and play the guard position. He isn't huge, by offensive line standards, 6'4" and 265 lbs. Expect Jeff to try and add some bulk his Senior season for the Diablos.

Baca had this to say about his play and his goals for his senior year: "I am not sure how I would describe myself. I am more of a finesse player but there is no doubt about it, I like to get after it. I want to work on my strength. I am pretty strong but I want to keep getting stronger. I want it to be the right weight and I also want to work on getting quicker feet at the next level."

Baca has been highly recruited this year, receiving offers form a number of PAC-10 schools including Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, and Arizona. The talented lineman earned all state underclass honors last season. Jeff looks like another solid commitment to this class, which is adding great depth and personnel at every position.

UCLA doesn't usually get too many kids out of Orange Country but Baca and fellow commit, Derrick Coleman, both play ball behind the orange curtain. A good sign as the area is rich with division 1 football talent. Baca is the 16th player to commit to the Bruins so far this year.

(photo credit: OCVarsity.com)

No comments: